Club

A brief history of the Bramble bay Bowls Club


The Bramble Bay Bowls Club was founded at a public meeting, called by Mr. H.W.Wightman, a member of the Clontarf Beach Progress Association at Woody Point, on 31st August 1948.

Several sites for the green were considered and the final selection favoured by the Recreation Reserve was at Red Cutting, Woody Point. The view from the site prompted that the name of ‘Bramble Bay” be given to the Club.

The first sod was turned in July 1949 by the then Governor of Queensland, Hon F.A.Cooper.

June 10th 1950 saw a membership of 72 and the first Club House, a roof over a 20 x 20 structure. The second green was completed in 1954 and the third green in 1977. This green was planted with Tift grass, a new variety at the time.

The first section of the existing clubhouse on the western end was completed in 1991.

The club house was fully completed in 1994 and opened by Redcliffe Mayor, Alan Bolton.

In the 1980’s and 90’s Bramble Bay Bowls Club had the largest membership of all Brisbane Metropolitan Clubs, with 600 members plus and was recognised as having the best greens in the Brisbane area.

Current memberships is at approximately 1500 and continues to grow.

 

 

 

Dress Rules do Apply

There is a standard of dress required after 7pm in the licensed portion of the club, bar area, gaming and function room.

  • Attire – clean, neat and tidy at all times.
  • No tradesman work clothes after 7pm.
  • No headwear for males at any time (catering staff excepted).
  • No sleeveless singlets for males after 7pm.
  • Club reserves the right to refuse entry or service.
  • Children under the age of eighteen (18) must be accompanied by adults.